Lucifer Rising – Part 2
|By: Carl Teichrib; ©2001|
Lucifer Rising–Part 2: Occult Initiation
- Initiation leads to the stream that, once entered, sweeps a man onward until it carries him to the feet of the Lord of the World…
- — Alice A. Bailey, Initiation, Human and Solar (Lucis Publishing), p. 14.
Initiation, the act of being admitted into a society, office, or position through the use of special ritual, is deeply ingrained in our western world. It can be a relatively innocent activity, such as a high school freshman class having to cater to the wishes of the seniors for one day – a “welcome to high school” ritual. Initiation can also be a rigorous test of skill and endurance, such as military boot camp, which pushes the “civilian in training” to his limits and, if the trainee is successful, brings him into the fold of the armed forces. In essence, initiation is the doorway allowing one to pass from old ways into new systems, structures, and forms.
Within the world of the New Age and the occult, initiation is the principle key used in advancing the student of mysticism along the path of occult learning. Practically all esoteric societies employ initiation. Freemasonry, Rosicrucian orders, hermetic societies, spin-off Masonic bodies such as the Shriners, Eastern Star, and the Order of DeMolay, all use initiation as a means of bringing candidates into their organization. Once inside the group, the society uses initiation as a way of advancing members into higher degrees of “illumination.” Within each of these rites, mystical concepts are passed down by means of symbol, myth, and legend woven throughout the initiation experience. The candidate, for the most part, does not understand its significance or meaning. Only as one climbs the ladder of ritual and esoteric work does the member comprehend what the initiations really entail.
Within the occult and New Age movement, initiation is viewed as playing a “cosmic” role in the evolution of humanity–and the universe. Masonic authority, Manly P. Hall called this quest for the esoteric a “cosmic obligation,” and that “powers unseen and unrecognized mold the destiny of those who consciously and of their own free will take upon themselves the obligations of the Fraternity.” Hall was referring to both the oath within Masonic initiations, and the deeper occult knowledge that comes with the search of mystical illumination. Communicating its spiritual significance, Hall wrote,
- When the Mason learns that the key to the warrior on the block is the proper application of the dynamo of living power, he has learned the mystery of his Craft. The seething energies of Lucifer are in his hands and before he may step onward and upward, he must prove his ability to properly apply energy.
- (The Lost Keys of Freemasonry, p. 48)
C.W. Leadbeater, a leading occultist, Theosophist, and Freemason during the early years of the 20th century, revealed that initiation resulted in a “born again” experience. This needs to be understood correctly; the “born again” experience Leadbeater talked about was based on the Luciferic philosophy of Genesis 3–“you will be like God.”
- So wonderful is the expansion of the Initiate’s conscious that it is most apt to speak of the change as a new birth. He begins to lead a new life “as a little child,” the life of the Christ; and the Christ, the intuitional or buddhic consciousness, is born within his heart.
- (The Masters and the Path, p. 124)
Referring to the initiated, Leadbeater explains,
- The Candidate has now become more than an individual man, because he is a unit in a tremendous force. On every planet the Solar Logos [authors note: “Solar Logos” is referring to the Supreme Deity as revealed within the Sun God] has His Representative acting as His Viceroy. On our globe the title given to this great Official is the Lord of the World.
- (The Masters and the Path, p. 120)
The Bible reveals who this “great Official” is. Jesus Christ called him the “ruler of this world” (John 12:31) and the apostle Paul called him the “god of this age” (2 Cor. 4:4). This “Official” is Lucifer, the “light-bearer,” also known as Satan, the “ruler of darkness” (Eph. 6:12), and the “king of death” (Heb.2:14). The New Age movement, with its occult roots, embraces this Being – whether New Age practitioners realize it or not.
One of today’s most influential New Age authors and lecturers, David Spangler, teaches on Lucifer and “Christ.” In his book Reflections on the Christ, Spangler explains that “Christ is the same force as Lucifer but moving in seemingly the opposite direction” and that “Christ is the perfect balance to Lucifer.” Spangler also tells his followers that, “Lucifer, like Christ, stands at the door…and knocks.” Sadly, Spangler encourages spiritual seekers to open the door for Lucifer and invite him in.
Like Hall and Leadbeater, Spangler understands the deeper meanings of occult initiation. In the Reflections on the Christ, he explains that Lucifer is the “great initiator.” Amazingly, he calls for a literal Luciferic initiation as a means of propelling mankind into the evolutionary New Age,
- Lucifer comes to give to us the final gift of wholeness. If we accept it then he is free and we are free. This is the Luciferic initiation. It is one that many people now, and in the days ahead, will be facing, for it is an initiation in the New Age.’
- (Reflections on the Christ, p. 45)
In Spangler’s world, humankind would completely embrace Lucifer and allow Lucifer to indwell in an unprecedented way. Spangler’s vision is for a new global order ruled by the “Lord of the World.”
Unfortunately, many Christians naively believe that the New Age movement is simply a passing fad. The New Age movement, which is only a “public” outpouring of the teachings of ancient occult schools, is a growing reality in today’s multi-religious world. And it is evolving with the times.
As Christians, we need to know what we believe, why we believe it, and how to effectively express it. Only Jesus Christ can set men free.
Carl Teichrib is Director of Research at Hope For The World, the organization of bestselling author Gary Kah.