The Ezekiel 38 and Psalm 83 Prophecies/Part 6
|By: John G Weldon, PhD; ©2011|
|Will there be a nuclear exchange?|
The Ezekiel 38/Psalm 83 Prophecies: Russia, Iran and Muslim Nations in Biblical Prophecy
A Nuclear Exchange?
In a lecture at the 2008 International Prophecy Conference by prophecy expert Dr. Chuck Missler, he had some interesting things to say about the Ezekiel 38 prophecy. According to Ezekiel 37, the four prerequisites for the events of Ezekiel 38 to take place are: 1) the nation of Israel has to be reestablished as a sovereign state, which has occurred; 2) the nation must be militarily secure, which Israel is in one sense but not another, 3) the nation must be in apparent peace, which isn’t yet true today, and 4) the nation has restored material fortunes, which is significantly true (however she may yet become exceedingly wealthy).
Missler pointed out that Ezekiel 38:7 says that Magog or Russia will be “a guard” to these coalition nations; and indeed, today Russia is the very nation selling arms to the nations listed in Ezekiel 38. In addition, in Ezekiel 38:13 he observes that “Sheba and Dedan” are Yemen and Saudi Arabia and yet it is declared that they are spectators of the attack, not participants.
Dr. Missler further discusses the possibility that a nuclear attack might be involved. There are some interesting hints about this idea in the passage. He mentions that the average nuclear warhead is about four megatons; but if a couple of 25-megaton warheads were exploded, it could actually alter the orbit of the Earth. Consider the following facts:
- First, altering the earths orbit would certainly result in the description given in Ezekiel 38:20 which says that the judgment of God will be so great that “all the men who are on the face of the Earth will shake my presence” as a result of what God does to the invading army.
- Second in Ezekiel 38:22, it says that great hailstones and fire and brimstone will fall upon Magog, and in Ezekiel 39:6 it reiterates that God will send a fire on Magog: “I will send fire on Magog and on those who dwell securely in the coastlands, and they shall know that I am the LORD.” What kind of fire and brimstone could consume such massive armies?
- Third, the leftover weapons seem to supply a great deal of energy for the nation of Israel for seven years.
- Fourth, it also implies that professionals will be hired to clear the battlefield of dead soldiers, but they have to wait for seven months and then clear for seven months.
- Fifth, the dead are buried east of the Dead Sea, i.e. downwind.
- Sixth, it further says that if a traveler finds something a professional misses, they are not to touch it but to mark the location and let the professionals deal with it.
- Seventh, the dead are buried for seven months “in order to cleanse the land.”
- Eighth, it also refers to those who are “left on the surface of the ground” as if the others have perhaps been incinerated (Ezekiel 39:12). For example:
- “They will set apart men who will constantly pass through the land, burying those who were passing through [i.e. the attacking armies], even those left on the surface of the ground, in order to cleanse it. At the end of seven months they will make a search. As those who pass through the land pass through and anyone sees a man’s bone, then he will set a marker by it until the buriers have buried it in the valley of Hamon-gog.” (Ezekiel 39:14-15 NASB)
A nuclear exchange? Possibly. Only time will tell, but the information cited by Dr. Missler is intriguing. It is also relevant that Russia has the large majority of the world’s nuclear weapons and also co-ordinates the world’s largest and most aggressive biological weapons program; bio-weapons may also explain part of what Ezekiel says about “plague and bloodshed.” ff Russia sought to use novel biological weapons against Israel, God could make certain that it backfires.
- International Prophecy Conference “Chuck Missler,” 2008, God.tv. The 2009 and 2010 conferences, based on Internet reports, provided interesting details on biblical prophecy and the end times.