Step by Step Through Daniel/Program 3
|By: Dr. Jimmy DeYoung; ©2010|
|The second pillar of Daniel focuses on the prediction of a future global leader known as the Antichrist. Again, there are many connections with Revelation, where the term “beast” is used 42 different times. In this session, we’ll discuss the Antichrist’s other names, where he appears, what he does, and where he comes from in the revived Roman Empire.|
Announcer: Today, one out of every four Christian adults believes Jesus could return in their lifetime. The Old Testament prophet Daniel gives us the skeletal outline of all future Bible prophecy and is the key to understanding the book of Revelation. Jesus Christ himself quoted from Daniel, assuring us of its truths. This book contains Daniel’s predictions of four world empires that will rise and fall, his predictions of a final world empire that will be led by a new and powerful global leader, and his warning of an alignment of nations that will come against the nation of Israel in the last days.
Where do we find ourselves in the events Daniel describes? How do Daniel’s prophecies fit into such events as the rapture, the tribulation, the battle of Armageddon, and the second coming of Christ? Today we will take you step-by-step through the book of Daniel to help you understand its message and the events God foretells are up ahead. My guest is journalist and prophecy scholar Dr. Jimmy DeYoung, who has lived and reported from Jerusalem since 1991 and has interviewed every Israeli prime minister over the last 15 years. Join us for this special edition of The John Ankerberg Show.
- Ankerberg: Welcome to our program. We have got a great one for you today. And my guest today is Dr. Jimmy DeYoung; prophecy scholar, a man that has lived in Jerusalem since 1991. He knows all the Israeli prime ministers. He has interviewed all of them. He knows the political leaders. He knows the religious leaders in Jerusalem. He is a walking encyclopedia on the Bible.
- What we are talking about is we’re taking you step by step through the book of Daniel in the Old Testament, a prophet that wrote in the 6th century and gave us the skeleton outline for all of biblical prophecy that followed after that and is still coming true in our day. And up here in the front we got, a chessboard that looks like, we got up here on the stage, Jimmy. And the white pillars are our main sign posts for the book of Revelation that you’ve woven the entire book of Revelation around that. And you’ve got these brown pillars back here that are for the book of Daniel, and you are weaving the entire book of Daniel around these pillars.
- And last week we talked about this pillar as chapter 2, and it’s the empire that’s going to come in the future, the Revived Roman Empire. We’ve talked about the history of that where you can bounce off of that. But now we’re at pillar 2, which is a political leader, a very charismatic political leader that’s going to come on the world scene. And let me see if I can set it up. People know that President Obama, when he was elected, had popularity ratings that were just soaring off the top of the charts, okay, and in a year it has dropped. How could he have gone beyond where he was at the front? He came up in a meteoric way. Here’s how I think he could’ve even gone higher instead of dropping in the polls. What if he had fixed the Israeli-Palestinian problem? What if he had fixed the Iranian problem? What if he had fixed the economy in the America as well as around the world? Where would his popularity ratings be then? I believe, and you tell me if I’m wrong, the Bible, and Daniel specifically, is talking about, you are going to have an empire that’s going to come on, and then up through the ranks there is going to come a very charismatic political leader and he is going to fix the world’s problems, and he’s going to have the popularity and the power. Is that what you are talking about?
- DeYoung: Absolutely, that’s what I’m talking about, John. You know, the way you set that up sounds like President Obama could be the Antichrist. I’m going to show you in the Word of God that’s an impossibility in just a moment. Many people have talked about it, but he is not and could not be the Antichrist.
- Ankerberg: I agree.
- DeYoung: We will deal with that in just a moment. First, though, let’s look over here at our walk through the book of Revelation. The first pillar would be the rapture of the church, the space in between the seven years of the tribulation – the time of Jacob’s Trouble – followed by the return of the Lord Jesus Christ, the thousand year millennial kingdom and then the Great White Throne Judgment before eternity future – new heaven, new earth, and new Jerusalem. In order to understand the book of Revelation you have to have a handle an understanding, a basis upon which you can look at many of the apocalyptic literature, many of the apocalyptic signs in the book of Revelation, that are explained basically by the book of Daniel.
- “Apocalyptic” comes from the Greek word apokaupsis, which means “to foretell the future,” “to prophesy,” “to reveal,” “to make known.” And what God does in the book of Revelation, the book of Daniel, Ezekiel, and Zechariah as well, He will use a symbol to communicate an absolute truth. It is not a fairy tale, it’s not an allegory, it’s a symbol. And then He interprets that symbol with additional apocalyptic literature. And that’s why to understand Revelation you have to understand the book of Daniel.
- For example, we’re going to talk about the Antichrist today. I’ll get into the passage in chapter 7 in a moment. But the Antichrist comes up out of the sea – now, that’s a connection to chapter 7 of the book of Daniel – that’s chapter 13, verse 1, the beast rising up out of the sea. Here in Daniel it will be four beasts that rise up out of the sea. The word “beast” is used 42 times in the book of Revelation from chapter 13, verse 1 and following, and it’s always referring to the Antichrist. Chapter 17 of the book of Revelation talks about what the Antichrist will do in the first 3 ½ years of the tribulation period. He will establish an ecclesiastical Babylon, a false church headquartered in the city of Rome. And we’ll see when we look at those symbols found here in chapter 7 how that relates to the city of Rome. But in addition to that, the word “beast” is used 8 times in that 17th chapter. In chapter 18 the Antichrist headquarters a one-world economic, political governmental system in the city of Babylon.
- Now that’s Revelation. I’m able to tell you some of those things I’ve just revealed to you because of my understanding of the book of Daniel. Chapter 2 we see the image of the man followed by the ten toes of iron and clay with the stone destroying those ten toes and all of the image of the man, and that stone becoming a mighty mountain.
- Ankerberg: That’s chapter 2
- DeYoung: That’s chapter 2, and that is the revelation in the book of Daniel of the Revived Roman Empire. And remember, last week we talked about Daniel chapter 2 and verse 44 where it says when those kingdoms come to power, talking about the Revived Roman Empire, is the time that Jesus Christ returns to earth and establishes His kingdom which will be forever. We’ve got to move, though, to chapter 7 to understand better what those images, that apocalyptic literature, is talking about in the book of Revelation.
- Ankerberg: Yeah, let me just stop you there. We’ve got pillar 1 is chapter 2; chapter 7 is pillar number 2; number [chapter] 9 is pillar number 3; and 11 is 4. And we are weaving the whole book around that, but we are [pillar] 2 today.
- DeYoung: Well, this is the Revived Roman Empire; this is the Antichrist who leads that empire; this is a quick glimpse in that seven year period of time; and the three elements needed there and the alignment of the nations over there. Chapter 7, Daniel’s probably 70, 75 years. Maybe 50 years after he interpreted Nebuchadnezzar’s dream, he has his own dream. It’s a similar dream in content, but the emblems are different. For example, in Nebuchadnezzar’s dream he saw a man with a head of gold, chest and arms of silver, belly and thighs of brass, legs of iron, ten toes of iron and clay. Daniel sees four beasts rise up out of the sea. And the first one that comes out is a lion with eagle’s wings. Those wings are plucked off and this lion stands up like a man. That is the Babylonian Empire. The reason I say that, a winged lion is the emblem for Babylon. Today, in Babylon itself on the shores of the Euphrates River in modern day Iraq, we have the Ishtar Gate with two gold-winged lions standing there on either side of the gate.
- That’s followed with a vision of a bear. He rises up and he’s leaning on his left side with three ribs in his mouth. I believe that is talking about the three previous Gentile world powers, the three ribs in his mouth; that would be the Egyptian world power, the Assyrian world empire and then, of course, that first Gentile empire that we look at here in Daniel, the Babylonian Empire. The Medes and the Persians defeat the Babylonian Empire. And they take charge of the world. In Daniel chapter 8 we get the Medes and Persians from the ram, that is a vision that Daniel sees as well.
- But in chapter 7, then, we see after the bear leaning on his left side, three ribs in his mouth, we see a leopard. Now, this leopard has four heads and four wings. The four wings indicate that this empire, which would be the Grecian Empire, comes to power faster than any world empire has ever done in history. Alexander the Great, when he was 21 years old, started out with a rag tag military operation and they conquered the known world in 11 years. At 32 years of age, in the city of Babylon on the shores of the Euphrates River in the city of Babylon, Alexander the Great headed up the Grecian Empire. He died at 32 years of age and his kingdom was divided into four parts, the four heads on this leopard. By the way, the leopard, probably the fastest animal, well maybe with the exception of the cheetah, the leopard is very fast. But when you put four wings on his back he’s going to be very, very, quick.
- We come then to chapter 7 and verse 7, this awesome beast that comes to power. It has awesome teeth and it devours everything in its way. That’s the Roman Empire. It was the mightiest empire in the history of the world to that time. There is going to be a mightier empire, the Revived Roman Empire, which we will see in a moment. But chapter 7 verse 7 talks about the Roman Empire coming into existence. As you notice, it has ten horns. And out of those ten horns verse 8 says a little horn comes. Now, the ten horns would be similar to the ten toes of iron and clay in chapter 2; that’s the Revived Roman Empire. That little horn, that’s the first of 27 names for the Antichrist. He’s called the little horn in chapter 7 and verse 8; in chapter 9 and verse 26, he’s called the prince that shall come; in chapter 11, verse 36, the willful king. Jesus Christ, who confirmed the book of Daniel in chapter 24 of the book of Matthew, calls him a false Messiah. Over in the book of Revelation, we’ve already referred to it, he’s the beast out of the sea in chapter 13, and verse 1. But the name most familiar to all of us, found in 1 John chapter 2, the Antichrist. The Antichrist comes on the scene to rule that Roman Empire. I believe he is alive and well on planet earth today.
- Ankerberg: Yeah, Jimmy, and the thing we have to tell people is that the reason we know that’s future is because there’s never been ten kings and another one comes up, the 11th that knocks off three. That has never happened in history, so we’re saying all the other stuff has been fulfilled, but this one the kingdom that has never been before, is still coming in the future.
- DeYoung: That is absolutely the case. And I believe we’re watching it all unfold on the world stage today. Bible prophecy is coming better into focus every moment as we watch geo-political activities happening in this world. By the way, I was talking about the fact that indeed President Obama could not be the Antichrist. Well, that little horn comes out of the ten horns. That means the little horn comes out of the Revived Roman Empire. And America is not in Bible prophecy, thus our President could not be the Antichrist. There is going to be one who comes out of the location, the geographical land of the Revived Roman Empire. He’s coming to power, and I believe very quickly.
- Ankerberg: Alright, we are going to take a break. When we come back we’re going to make this really practical. We’re going to bring it into the headlines of our day. And what we’re going to say is that the leader is not there yet, but the fact is that the office is in place, basically, and it wouldn’t take much for all of this stuff to come together. Don’t believe us? Stick around, we’ll take a break, and we’re come right back and we’ll tell you why.
- Ankerberg: Alright, we’re back. We’re talking about the amazing prophet Daniel in the Old Testament, who wrote in the 6th century in Babylon. And he is writing about events in the future. And some of those events are taking place in our day. And we’ve talked about a political structure that’s come together, the European Union. And we are talking about the office of a political leader that will have the power and the sway to move the world, alright. And, you know, I was using the illustration at the beginning of this program of President Obama. I wasn’t saying he’s the Antichrist. I’m simply saying it gives our worldwide audience – and I recognize our program is going to 187 nations and we’re in prime time in Europe, so I understand what we are saying here, Jimmy – we’re simply trying to make it come alive to people that the kind of power and meteoric rise of political leaders is taking place. And it’s setting us up for a time when a guy can come on the world, and if he’s got the right ingredients, and he’s got the right personality, and he puts the pieces together, the world will follow him. Now, what does Daniel say are the characteristics and the activities of this political leader that’s going to come on the scene and rule from a political entity in Europe that resembles the old Roman Empire? What are the activities of this man?
- DeYoung: Well, again, reminding everybody that chapter 7 talks about, in verse 7, the ten horns. Now, those ten horns would be the Revived Roman Empire, referred to as ten toes of iron and clay back in chapter 2 of the book of Daniel. But those ten horns are also talked about in the book of Revelation. When we go to the book of Revelation, in chapter 13 it talks about this beast rises out of the sea having seven heads and ten horns. Again, there’s that apocalyptic literature. All you need to do is find the interpretation in additional apocalyptic literature. Chapter 17 of the book of Revelation, which is dealing with the false church, ecclesiastical Babylon, says that the seven heads represent a seven mountain city, which could be the city of Rome. And those ten horns, they will be kingdoms that come to power one hour with the beast, and the beast being the Antichrist. So those ten horns we see here in chapter 7, the little horn is the Antichrist who comes to power.
- Now, when you combine your understanding of the book of Revelation, and especially with the additional information from the book of Daniel, we see that the Antichrist comes to power; he’s going to be energized by Satan. He will be a male, probably, political leader, as we have been talking about, who will be energized by Satan, which gives him his seat of authority and his power. By the way, he’s going to be wounded “as it were” – there’s an apocalyptic phrase, “as it were,” it says in chapter 13 in Revelation; it means did not really happen, it seems to have happened, but it did not. He will be wounded, as it were, to the death. Satan will heal that wound, saying that Satan has the power to heal. That helps us to understand why so many miracles follow the Antichrist: signs, wonders, and miracles. Jesus said that in the book of Matthew chapter 24; Revelation talks about it as well. And so this Antichrist will be, as it were, healed from death and he then is going to move to the leadership of the Revived Roman Empire. Next time we get together we’ll talk about chapter 9, which says he confirms a peace treaty. But before that he’s going to be moving into position to take over a false religion in chapter 17. Ultimately, he will come to power over a one world economic, political, governmental system, chapter 18 of the book of Revelation. And it even talks about the fact that we will have to have a global, economic structure in place for the Antichrist to do all that he is going to do in that time. What’s interesting to me, John, talking about current events, are we not in a global economic crisis today?
- Ankerberg: Absolutely.
- DeYoung: And how in the world could the Antichrist make everybody take an identification mark in the forehead or the back of the hand? Hey, I’ve got an idea. As the European Union, which I believe is the infrastructure of the Revived Roman Empire, is calling for, they want a global economic structure that will keep us from ever again going into an economic crisis. So we see everything today in geo-political activity unfolding, and as the late Dr. John Walvoord, the great Bible prophecy teacher said, setting the stage for Bible prophecy to be fulfilled. I believe there are personalities, political personalities out there who could fill the bill. But there are some of them that are perfect prototypes for the Antichrist to come.
- Ankerberg: How will this leader come to power according to the Bible and what are some of the activities that he’ll do?
- DeYoung: What’s interesting is, the Revived Roman Empire has to be in place. When you look at chapter 7 and verse 7, the ten horns, defined by verse 24 of Daniel chapter 7, would be the Revived Roman Empire, these kingdoms that come to power. When they come to power, the Antichrist is then going to appear, not the necessary leadership that is in place today. For example, as the president of the European Union, we have Mr. Van Rompuy, and then as the chief foreign policy person, we have Catherine Ashton. These two are major players today, but ultimately there’s going to be a political leader that comes out of the ten horns. Let me just use as an illustration – now this is simply an illustration, John, I am not naming the Antichrist. I do not know. Read my lips: I do not know who the Antichrist is.
- Ankerberg: Neither do I.
- DeYoung: But there is a perfect prototype. I would say that individual is the former prime minister of Great Britain, Tony Blair. Tony Blair, about four years ago, converted to Catholicism, which gives him that connection to Rome, which is where the Antichrist will play a major role in the first 3 ½ years of the tribulation period. Tony Blair today has a foundation, The Foundation of Faith. He is a guest lecturer, an adjunct lecturer, professor, over at Yale University, where he is speaking on how to bring resolution to world conflict through religion. And that is going to be what the Antichrist is going to do as he brings everything together. Then, Tony Blair is the peace envoy, the Middle East peace envoy, for the Quartet: United States, European Union, United Nations, and Russia. And I can remember when we were doing some previous programs there in Jerusalem, we came very, very close to being able to do an interview with Tony Blair. Hey, Tony Blair, when we were in Jerusalem was in Ramallah. We went to Ramallah, he went back to Jerusalem; we had it all set up, we were unable to pull it off. Hope we can in the future.
- Ankerberg: Yeah, and the fact is, we like Tony Blair. And the fact is, we admire the talent of this guy. This guy can talk like few people in the world. He’s very talented.
- DeYoung: And you know what he’s been saying. He is saying there will be peace in the Middle East within the next year. Recently Hillary Clinton, our Secretary of State, asked Tony Blair to come alongside George Mitchell, who is the peace envoy for the United States. And George Mitchell and Tony Blair are now working together to bring peace to the Middle East. Well, again…
- Ankerberg: So somebody like Tony Blair, with his talent, with his ability, with his connections is what we are talking about here.
- DeYoung: I’m not talking about him as the Antichrist: he is a perfect prototype. What Tony Blair is doing today is exactly the scenario the Antichrist will follow as he comes to power.
- Ankerberg: Alright, Jimmy, again our pillars for outlining Daniel. We’ve got the Revived Roman Empire; we’ve got the leader of that empire that’s going to come in the future; and next week we’re going to talk about what about in the third pillar?
- DeYoung: Well, the Antichrist is going to be a major player in that seven year tribulation. But there are two other elements that you would include with this tyrant, the Antichrist. That would be a treaty, which basically when he confirms it, starts the clock ticking on the seven year tribulation, and a temple which the Antichrist will play a key role in his involvement.
- Ankerberg: Yeah, and the treaty we are talking about is with Israel.
- DeYoung: Absolutely.
- Ankerberg: And, boy, the whole world, the newspapers are filled with the peace talks going on all the time. And the fact is, with that we are also talking about, Jewish temple is supposed to be on the Temple Mount, according to Daniel. Well, we are going to talk about that next week. Folks, you will not want to miss this. Join us then.