How Can I Be Sure I am Saved?
How Can I Be Sure I am Saved?
Many people have doubts about their faith and wonder if they are truly saved or have truly become a Christian. The Bible offers two clear ways to help determine whether you have received salvation through Jesus Christ.
First, you must be able to answer the question, “Do you believe Jesus is God’s Son who rose from the dead?” Romans 10:9-10 teaches, “If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.”
These verses explain that a person experiences salvation through believing Jesus rose from the dead and confessing Jesus is Lord or God’s Son. Saying the words, “I believe,” is not what saves you, but rather being willing to claim Jesus is Lord.
What other ways can I be sure I am saved? Second, ask yourself, “Is their evidence that I am a follower of Jesus?” No one is perfect, but after believing in Jesus, your life will begin to change in new ways. 1 John offers several examples of how faith in Jesus changes us. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I walk in the light?: “If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin” (1 John 1:6-7).
- Have I admitted I am a sinner?: “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us” (1 John 1:8).
- Have I confessed my sins?: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).
- Do I follow the teachings of Jesus?: “We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands” (1 John 2:3).
- Do I love other believers in Jesus?: “Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble” (1 John 2:10).
- Do I love Jesus more than the world?: “Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them” (1 John 2:15).
- Do I believe Jesus is the Christ?: “Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ” (1 John 2:22).
It is by His grace we are saved through faith (Ephesians 2:8-9). After we have been saved, we are called to serve our Lord according to His plan for our lives (Ephesians 2:10).
Don’t live in doubt. Make sure you have believed in Jesus and live for Him today.
If you have not truly believed in Jesus or would like to make sure today, please take a moment to pray something like these words right now:
“God, I believe Jesus is God’s Son who rose from the dead. I believe Jesus is Lord. Please forgive me of my sins. Please give me salvation and the gift of eternal life. Help me to live for you from this moment forward. Amen.”
If you’ve prayed this prayer today, congratulations! Please email us at [insert email] for free information to help you in your spiritual journey.